houses and princes
They are nobles, you should know what this means, they tend to be classist and arrogant.
There are three ways to become one, get yourself knighted, buy a lot of land, or be born as a noble.
From the bottom to the top.
- Sir: The lowest noble rank, they might not even posses any land, most nobles have this rank
- Count: The ruler of a county, he is responsible for controlling the local towns, this is the highest rank most nobles can hope to achieve.
- Marquis: someone who doesn’t necessarily have a political position, but is very wealthy, this tile is sometimes simply assumed(this really pisses off the “real” nobles) by powerful merchants who haven’t actually been knighted.
- Duke: One of the most powerful noble titles, typically they are siblings and cousins of the heads of houses and the Princes of Cities.
- Grand Duke: they have power on the level of a lord, but don’t actually have a real political position. This is the title used by the heads of the merchant families and 2 or 3 of the more powerful independent merchant lords.
- Lord: The title used by the Princes and the heads of the noble houses, and 2 or 3 Archmages.